Welcome

This blog is about a new walk with my husband Rick & I since he was diagnosed with ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) or Lou Gehrig's Disease or MND (Motor Neuron Disease) on February 1, 2008.

This blog was started as a way to keep our family and friends and anyone else interested in our battle with ALS updated.
So as you read this blog please keep us in your hearts and prayers.

The blog starts from the most current to the oldest entry. Rick has started to blog now also as of April 1,2008 so this site has become officially "our blog".

My dearest husband Rick passed away on August 13, 2010,
2 1/2 yrs after diagnosis. Now I have to learn how to walk in the courage, strength and bravery that he did in fighting this disease. He promised me he would be waiting for me in eternity on a park bench. Together Forever!

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Rick and Joan here...."The curtains have closed and the lights are dimmed!"












Wow...what a day!!!! We had the film crew out today along with Brian from the ALS Society from early till late! They are an incredible bunch of guys!!!!!
They were taking a variety of shots so they will have footage so it can be used in a number of proposed upcoming video projects ranging from...instructional videos for healthcare professionals to short video clips for people dealing with ALS and perhaps even for a commercial.
They also interviewed two of our granddaughters concerning their ALS Fund raising efforts. They were some what shy! But did an awesome job!!!
They followed us through the day....good and bad! :) including Joan getting me hoyered out of bed unto the commode chair and then up to the bathroom and showering. Joan laughed that it was quite different having men in the shower with us instead of women...(homecare workers). Not to fear they were discreet as could be but to be honest it was pretty damn intimidating!
They took shots of Joan getting me dressed, brushing my teeth, shaving me and combing my hair...my daily routine.
They then asked what we did for enjoyment. Because it was just after lunch...we told them...that we like to go the the local Whitemouth Hotel for a sandwhich and beverage from time to time. That sounded good to them so off we all went!!! They got pics of Joan using the van lift and driving "the beast". Into the hotel we marched complete with cameras, light stands, cables, mics and etc. We had given the hotel about a 15 min notice so they had a fire going in the patio and gave us that space to use for the 2 hour interview. Thanks guys!!! It all worked out great!!!!
It seemed like all my shots were back ended ones as I was pushing Rick in the hoyer lift and up the lift. I asked them to be kind about that!!! lol....so here is hoping!!!!
Joan and I decided from the start of this journey to be as transparent and forthright about the challenges as we could be. Our hope is that some of what took place today may help awareness and educate people about this terrible disease.
Here is looking up and onward!!!
PS I don't think Jon and Kate plus 8 have anything to worry about from us after today!!! lol